Google

Monday, December 19, 2005

GOP Alienating Hispanic Voters

Andres Oppenheimer:

President Bush's Republican Party's love affair with Hispanic voters may soon come to an end: Judging from the xenophobic measures proposed by conservative Republicans in Congress last week, many Latino voters will think twice before casting a vote for Republicans in the 2006 congressional elections.

The massive anti-immigration package presented to Congress late last week by House Judiciary committee chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., and Homeland Security committee chairman Peter King, R-N.Y., contained some of the most radical anti-immigration measures ever, including depriving babies of undocumented workers of their right to U.S. citizenship...

Bush won the 2004 election in part thanks to an unprecedented 40 percent slice of the Hispanic vote, nearly twice what Republicans got in the 1996 election.

Bush has opposed the bill, saying enforcement measures should be accompanied by a temporary guest workers' program. But the isolationist wing of the Republican Party, perhaps taking advantage of Bush's political weakness, steamrolled the bill through the House.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frodo Corleone said...

If Bush were serious about stopping this type of legislation he should say he will veto it... maybe he has and I missed it. Until he stands up to the extremists in his own party I have a hard time taking him serious on immigration. It just seems like lip-serve to me.

Too bad because his guest worker program is one of the few ideas of his I think has promise. I will have to see the final details before giving a final verdict.

12/19/2005 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Hispanic voter and I have voted Republican all my life. My mother who was born in Cuba was a delegate to Goldwater's National Convention in 1964.

I am absolutely furious about the Republican party's hispandering and their refusal to protect our borders or enforce our laws. We should leave the racial group politics to the Democrats and stick to our color blind principles which includes such things as national security, rule of law, and sovereignty all of which have been badly violated by the illegal aliens and the hispanderers.

If the Senate passes a guestworker shamnesty I can think of two Republican Senators from my state that I will actively be working to defeat! And the Republicans can kiss this Hispanic voter and conservative goodbye because I will be voting for the Conservative Party.

12/20/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger La Ventanita said...

I have to admit, haven't read much, but as harsh as this may sound, I am pro denying the citinzenship to the kids of illegals, but not necessarily widespread. A lot of immigrants cross borders just to give birth, and those are the ones who should be denied the citizenship. The kids of parents who are here illegally but working their assess off is a different story. Either way something has to be done to control illegal immigration, which is currently out of control. I'm Hispanic and Republican, and will continue voting so unless something drastic happens.

12/23/2005 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home