Google

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

GOP Should Be Careful

The anti-immigrant rhetoric coming from a few Republicans will only serve to drive away voters and potential voters:

Republicans will lose the gains they've made among Hispanic voters under President Bush if they allow "partisan radical demagogues" to control the immigration reform debate, says Latino Coalition President Robert Deposada.

A new survey of Hispanic registered voters found that a majority support increasing the number of border patrol agents and making sure that employers only hire workers who are in the United States legally. But they also overwhelmingly support a program to allow immigrants to work temporarily in the United States.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another ridiculous article that pretends that Hispanics are a monolithic voting block.

As a Hispanic, I strongly support a fence on the border, an end to anchor baby birthright citizenship and strong strictly ENFORCED sanctions, including prison, for employers who hired illegals. I oppose any form of amnesty and it does not matter what euphamism they use for it; if the illegals are not deported then it is amnesty.

I could possibly support a guestworker plan if somebody would first explain a believable mechanism for making the guests go home when their visas expire. But if I did support a guestworker program it would only be available to people who applied from outside of the United States.

I am sure I am not the only Hispanic who feels that our laws should be enforced and obeyed. I fall into that group of 20% or so of Hispanics who have long voted Republican because I look past my ethnicity and I share the values that the Republican Party has long promoted. The risk that Republicans run with this Hispanic is that if they continue to show that they are willing to cast aside our shared values like rule of law, national sovereignty, and strong borders in favor of shameless ethnic hispandering and group politics alla the Democrat Party then I will vote for a Conservative third party that actually believe in those values rather than just paying them lip-service.

1/20/2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about a coconut! (I'm here now close the door) mentality! Truly sad!

1/25/2006 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home