Google

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Latino Groups and Judge Alito

These people don't speak for me:

Several leaders of Hispanic organizations expressed opposition Thursday to the likely Senate confirmation of Samuel Alito as a Supreme Court justice, predicting his accession to the bench would erode civil rights and advances made by Hispanics in the United States.

Fortunately, there are two sides to every story:

But there are also representatives of the Hispanic community - both advocacy groups and Hispanic members of the Republican Party - that have spoken out in support of Alito's confirmation, including Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Florida) on Wednesday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Alito believes that our immigration laws actually mean something and should be enforced then I support him.

I'm sick of these racists who think that just because we have darker skin, that we are a group of monolithic mindless idiots that require racial/ethnic leaders to tell us what we think and then that we all think the same as if it were a pre-programmed genetic trait. It is offensive. They talk like God forgot to give Hispanics brains.

For myself, I think of myself as an un-hyphenated American and identify far more with the conservatism of Goldwater and Ronald Reagan then the group victimhood of any ethnic group. I want to be judged and treated as an individual not as a member of a race. My ancestry is a source of mild personal pride but should be totally irrelevant to anybody else.

1/22/2006 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home